Framingham Democratic Town Committee
Framingham Green 136 Maynard Road, Framingham, MA 01701
Meeting Minutes – Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 7:00 PM
Happy 80th Birthday to Mel Warshaw, Mike Hugo is turning 65, and Chris Walsh’s birthday was yesterday. Please send him a card.
Our charity: #WhyNotDevin. Norma Shulman is accepting donations at the rear of room. Devin & his family are in London, and Devin is having surgery today. There are green outdoor light bulbs for Devin burning all over US & the world. The bulbs, wristbands, and other items are available from Norma.
2. April 23, 2017 Minutes: Secretary Barbara LeDuc Approved with one abstention.
3. Attendance: Members: Elsa Aviza, Lori Bornstein, Chris Broyles, Jeanne Bullock, Carmen Chico, Jack Duffy, Patrick Dunne, Adam Freudberg, Beverly Hugo, Michael Hugo, Barbara LeDuc, Chris Lorant, Joan Rastani, Cindy Rubin, Margareth Shepard, Norma Shulman, Jim Stockless, Cheryl Tully Stoll, Parwez Wahid, Mel Warshaw. Lifetime Members: Betty Muto, Phil Ottaviani. Associate Members: Robert Case, Glenda Cohen, Barbara Fontes, Kurt Fusaris, Cheryl Gordon, Jim Hansen, Rosamond Hooper-Hamersley, Ohad Klopman, Mia Lin, Amanda Northrup, Larry Stoodt. Guests: Margarita Coffey, Jessica Da Silva, Adam Friedman, Beth Greeley, Jim Hansen, Audrey Hall, Jonathan Irick, William LaBarge, Doug Lawrence, Yvonne Spicer, Priscilla Sousa.
4. Treasurer’s Report: Treasurer Margareth Shepard Approved unanimously
A total income of $195.23 and expenses of $99.51 increased the 4-23-2017 balance of $2726.60 to $2,822.32. Annual dues are now being paid.
5. A motion was made and seconded to authorize the Chair to purchase name badges and / or lanyards for purpose of hastening the taking of attendance at our meetings, up to a cost of $100. The motion passed with one abstention.
6. Candidate introductions: The candidates spoke briefly to introduce themselves and indicate the office they were seeking.
Patrick McDermott: Lt. Governor
Mike Hugo spoke for John Stefanini, candidate for Mayor.
Yvonne Spicer: Mayor
Priscilla Sousa: Mayor
Cheryl Tully Stoll: City Council, at-large
Jeanne Bullock: City Council, District 2
Joel Winett: City Council, District 3
Cheryl Gordon: City Councilor, District 5
Robert Case: City Councilor, District 5
Doug Lawrence: City Councilor, District 6
Phil Ottaviani: City Councilor, District 6
Margareth Shepard: City Councilor, District 7
Jim Hansen: City Councilor, District 8
Beverly Hugo: School Committee, District 1
Cheryl Tully Stoll spoke for Richard Finlay: School Committee, District 2
Jim Stockless: School Committee, District 4
Adam Freudberg: School Committee, District 4
Brad Bauler: School Committee, District 5
7. Bills and Resolutions:
– Resolution to ban prayer at the state convention. Approved by voice vote by the Framingham Democratic Town Committee, but probably will not pass at the convention this year.
– Resolution to support the Safe Communities Act (S.1305/H.3269). Unanimous approval by voice vote.
– Information on “Proportional Voting”, also known as “Rank Choice Voting” provided by Adam Friedman. Maine has passed such a statute. M Warshaw requested a copy from Adam.
– Bill S.223 sponsored by Sonya Chang Diaz. The bill would increase public education funding.
Cheryl Tully Stoll, Mel Warshaw, and Bev Hugo are supporting this legislation.
8. Subcommittee Reports:
– Legislative and Advocacy Subcommittee: The subcommittee proposes that the FDTC support sending a letter in support of the Safe Communities Act S.1305/ H.3269 sponsored by Senator Jamie Eldridge to Representative Harold Naughton, Chairman of the Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee. The S.1305 is being heard by this committee, and will be voted on June 9. This subcommittee also supports S.223.
– Civics Education Subcommittee: Pat Dunne has scheduled a meeting for next week.
– Outreach Subcommittee: no report
– Communications Subcommittee: The Subcommittee has met twice. Their current goal is to choose the platform for a new webpage. Jim Hansen is testing the two proposed alternatives.
– Programming Subcommittee: Jim Stockless will schedule a meeting next week.
9. Convention information:
There will be the usual Friday night parties. Delegates should arrive by 7:30 AM on Saturday morning. There are several breakfast groups planned. Credentials have not been received as yet; bring a photo ID. A link to the platform came by email previously, or can be found on the Mass Dems website.
Thanks as always to Jeanne Bullock for her excellent food presentations, and to Parwez and Mel for their assistance.
11. More Announcements
– Summer concerts will begin on June 23.
– Gubernatorial candidate Setti Warren will meet supporters at B. Sisters coffee shop next Sunday May 28 at 11 AM.
All business being concluded, the meeting was adjourned at 8:55 PM.
Barbara LeDuc, Secretary